I don’t do resolutions. I think, for the most part, they tend to be too nebulous and, therefore, too easy to fail or forget.
But as I have been pondering my life direction, I have come up with some life goals and specific things I would like to accomplish this year as I chase those goals.
Things I want to become:
- A better wife
- A better mother
- A better musician
- A better photographer
- A better designer
What I want to do this year, to help me get closer to those goals:
- Get out of CHAOS (Can’t Have Anyone Over Syndrome).
My husband loves a tidy home. He doesn’t have one. My daughter needs a safe place to learn to crawl (and walk eventually). She doesn’t have one. This is one of the biggest things I can do to love them ahead of myself. I hope to be able to journal through this journey with all of you and share what works or doesn’t work.
- Yes. Musician. I’m tired of hiding behind the cloud of shame that has dogged me for years. (If I manage to actually post this goal, that’ll be a first step towards coming into the light.) I want to learn to play the piano, more than “Mary Had a Little Lamb” or C-scales. I want to finish writing three songs this year. (I toyed with other numbers which seemed either too ambitious, considering I’ve never finished one, or too much of a cop out, I mean really, how much of a challenge to myself would it be to finish one song in a twelve month period.) And by finish, I mean finish. Written, tracked, produced & published somewhere. Maybe somewhere deep in the bowels of the internet where no one can find it, but published none the less.
- I want to re-learn how to shoot manually. And maybe even pick up an SLR this year.
- A weekly portfolio piece. Possibly based on the liturgical calendar.
Random things I want to do this year:
- Get comfortable in my post-baby body. I don’t want to focus on the weight I need to lose, but rather on how I feel about myself. I bought myself a Kinect for Christmas. Who said working out had to be a drag? And now the trick will be dragging my lazy butt out of bed at some ungodly hour (before 7 is ungodly, right?) to actually use it. Along with this is going to come a rigorous wardrobe review. If I don’t feel good in something, I’m not going to keep it around depressing me & taking up space in my closet.
- Open an Etsy shop. No, I don’t know what I’m going to be selling yet.
- Get my first tattoo. (If I can accomplish this without violating my first life goal above.)
- Get into a rhythm of blog posts. Not sure exactly what that rhythm will be yet, but I want it to be regular & frequent. It’s good for me to write, so I want to do more of it.
- Find a way to serve my church that doesn’t conflict with the first two life goals.
- Open, unpack & get rid of all the cardboard boxes left over from moving in three years ago.
- Start taking the stairs again at work. I stopped when I was pregnant, because I would get out of breath. I just never got back into the habit, so I want to start doing that again.
What about you? Do you make resolutions? What about goals? What are you hoping to accomplish this year?